1 Gallon Blue Berry Mead

I call this recipe blue berry mead, but others may call it blue berry melomel. Either way is fine just as long as we all know what we are really making. Things that we will need include: 1 Gallon glass carboy A Thermometer A Measuring cup A tsp A Small Bowl A Fork 1 Medium size pot A potato masher A Funnel String spoon Strainer Airlock / Bung

Here are the ingredients that you will need: 3 LBS of honey 2 pints of Blue Berries 1 campden Tablet 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient 1 package /or 5 grams Red Star active dry wine yeast 5 grams Anti-Foam Agent

The first thing that your going to do is pour your 2 pints of blue berries into the medium pot on the stove and add enough water so that all the blue berries are submerged. Now turn the heat on high and boil for about 5 minutes. Now turn your heat on simmer and use a potato masher and crush the blue berries. Now turn off the stove and let the blue berry juice cool.

Now using your hot tap water and a thermometer measure 1/4 cup of water between 100 - 105 degrees F and pour into a small bowl. Now add 5 grams of Wine yeast and stir with a fork then add your 5 grams of Anti-Foam Agent. This is important because the blue berry foams a lot during fermentation. Once you have this mixed set it to the side for now.

Now its time to add the 3 LBS of honey to the carboy, Once the blue berry juice has cooled place a funnel in the carboy and a strainer over that. Now strain the juice into the carboy discarding the pulp. Be careful not to over fill. Now add your yeast that you prepared earlier. Now crush one campden Tablet and add it to the carboy along with 1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer, and 1 tsp Yeast Nutrient. Now depending on how much water you had in your blueberry juice you should be at the bottom of the neck of the carboy, if you are not there go ahead and add enough water to get there. Be sure to leave the neck of the bottle for an air space and install your airlock.

This will ferment for about 3 weeks, just put it up and don't mess with it until fermentation has completely stopped. Then rack it and let it setup for longer. I rack mine at least 3 times one week apart from each other. After the 3 rack I'll bottle it and let it setup for at least 2 weeks before opening.